Cadillac Eldorado Page One1 Moels & History 982
While front-end appearance was similar to DeVille/Fleetwood, the personal-luxury Eldorado coupes were most noted for their side profile. That meant a somewhat stubby deck lid portion, upright rectangular quarter window, and bodyside molding that turned upward in a square corner just behind that quarter window. This year’s vertical-style grille contained three narrow horizontal bars. Bumpers held new black rub strips with white centers, while revised taillamps displayed Cadillac’s crest insignia. Eldo’s full cabriolet roof option, appearing during the model year, offered the look (almost) of a convertible top.
Base powerplant was the new HT-4100 DFI V-8 with overdrive automatic transmission. Buick’s V-6 was also available. Eldos continued with four-wheel independent suspension and four-wheel disc brakes.
Dual Comfort 45/50 seats held three people, with six-way power adjustment for the driver. Heather cloth upholstery with Dundee cloth inserts came in five colors; leather in eight trim colors.
An optional Touring suspension (introduced the year before) included P225/70R15 steel-belted radial tires, large-diameter front and rear stabilizer bars, altered power steering that gave more feedback, stiffer front torsion bar and rear spring rates, and increased shock absorber valving.
Eldorado’s new Touring Coupe special-edition came with the touring suspension but added extra-wide blackmail tires on aluminum alloy wheels with exposed chrome lug nuts, reclining front bucket seats, a front console, cloisonne hood ornament, leather-wrapped steering wheel, plus red-over-black accent striping on a Sterling Silver metallic finish. Headlamp and taillamp bezels were body-colored. Wide ribbed rocker moldings were gray; wipers and window/windshield moldings black. Upholstery was gray leather, and a hood badge replaced the usual stand-up ornament.
A Sable Black Touring Coupe arrived in mid-year, similar but wearing blacked-out reveal moldings and headlamp/taillamp bezels, black bumper rub strips, and aluminum wheels with center hubs.
Eldorado Biarritz carried a brushed stainless steel roof cap, wire wheel covers, opera lamps, and “Biarritz” script on the sail panels. Interiors used genuine leather in seating areas. in five colors, plus a leather-trimmed steering wheel, Tampico carpeting, and rear quarter reading lamps.
|Model||Series Number||Body/Style Number||Body Type & Seating||Factory Price||Shipping Weight||Production Total|
|Eldorado||6E||L57||2-dr Coupe – 6 P||$18,551 / 18,716||3637 lb||52,018|
FACTORY PRICE AND WEIGHT NOTE: Figures before the slash are for V-6 engine, which was actually a $165 credit option; after slash for standard gasoline V-8. Diesel V-8 was also available.
|Feature||Base Engine||Optional #1||Optional #2|
|Type||90-degree, overhead valve V-8||90-degree, overhead-valve V-6||90-degree, overhead valve V-8|
|Block||Aluminum block w/cast iron liners||Cast iron block||Cast iron block|
|Head||cast iron head||Cast iron head||Cast iron head|
|Displacement||249 cu. in. (4.1 liters)||252 cu. in. (4.1 liters)||350 cu. in. (5.7 liters)|
|Bore & stroke||3.465 x 3.307 in.||3.9565 x 3.40 in.||4.057 x 3.345 in.|
|Brake horsepower||125 at 4200 R.P.M.||125 at 4000 R.P.M.||105 at 3200 R.P.M.|
|Torque||190 lbs.- ft. at 2000 R.P.M.||205 lbs.-ft. at 2000 R.P.M.||200 lbs.-ft. at 1600 R.P.M.|
|Fuel supply||Digital fuel injection||4-bbl.||Fuel Injection|
- Wheelbase: 114.0 in.
- Overall length: 204.5 in.
- Height: 54.3 in.
- Width: 71.5 in. max.
- Front Tread: 59.3 in.
- Rear Tread: 60.6 in.
- Standard Tires: P205/75R15 SBR wide WSW
- Transmission: Four-speed overdrive automatic (THM325-4L)
- Ratios: (1st) 2.74:1; (2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (4th) 0.667:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
- Standard final drive ratio: 3.15:1 except diesel, 2.93:1
- Steering: recirculating ball; power assist
- Front suspension: torsion bar and link stabilizer bar
- Rear suspension: independent trailing arm, coil springs, electronic level control
- Brakes: four-wheel disc
- Fuel tank: 20.3 gal. exc. 22.8 w/diesel, 21.1 w/V-6
- 4.1 liter V-6 engine ($165 credit)
- 5.7 liter diesel V-8 engine ($179-$351)
- Altitude emissions pkg.: diesel or 4.1 V-8 (NC)
- Engine block heater: ($26)
- 100-amp alternator ($48)
- FE2 touring suspension: ($109)
- Eldorado Biarritz ($3335)
- Eldorado Cabriolet ($398)
- Eldorado Touring Coupe ($1950)
|CONVENIENCE / APPEARANCE OPTIONS|
- Astroroof ($1195)
- Electronic cruise control ($175)
- Rear defogger w/heated outside mirrors ($150-$198)
- Automatic door locks ($145)
- Remote-locking fuel filler door ($56)
- Garage door opener ($140)
- Illuminated entry system ($76)
- Digital instrument cluster: ($229)
- Dual Comfort front seats w/six-way power passenger seat adjuster ($413)
- Memory driver’s seat ($180)
- Six-way power passenger seat: ($197)
- Power passenger seat recliner w/six-way power seat: ($347)
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel rim ($95)
- Tilt/telescope steering wheel ($169)
- Theft deterrent system ($179)
- Guidematic headlamp control ($93)
- Opera lamps ($85)
- Trumpet horn ($35)
- Electric remote-control outside mirrors ($98)
- Twin lighted vanity mirrors ($136)
- Electronic-tuning seek/scan AM/FM stereo radio with 8-track tape player ($225)
- Electronic-tuning seek/scan AM/FM stereo radio with 8-track and CB ($515)
- Electronic-tuning seek/scan AM/FM stereo radio with cassette and symphony sound system ($290)
- Triband antenna ($45)
- Two-tone paint: ($335)
- Partial firemist paint ($450)
- Firemist paint ($229)
- Bodyside molding ($61)
- Door edge guards ($18-$27)
- License frame ($13)
- Leather seating area ($498-$680)
- Carpeted rubber floor mats: front ($41-$43)
- Carpeted rubber floor mats: rear ($24)
- Trunk mat ($20)
- Aluminum wheels: ($429)
- Wire wheel covers ($298-$375)
- Puncture-sealing tires ($130-$175)