1929 Cadillac Series 341-B V-8 Transformable Town Cabriolet
Coachwork by Fleetwood
Founded in 1903, Cadillac ranks as the second-oldest surviving American automaker, following Ford. It quickly gained prominence as a producer of high-quality vehicles in the United States, proudly promoting itself as the “Standard of the World.” By 1910, Cadillac had become part of the General Motors conglomerate, under the leadership of William C. Durant, and has maintained its position as the most prestigious GM brand ever since.
Cadillac introduced a V-8 model in 1915 and continually refined the concept over the years. Innovations included a detachable cylinder head in 1918, a balanced crankshaft in the V-63 of 1923, and further enhancements in the Series 314, known as “The New Ninety Degree Cadillac.” In 1928, significant changes were made to the V-8, increasing its displacement to 341 cubic inches and boosting horsepower to 90. This design featured an L-head configuration with a cast iron block, copper/aluminum crankcase, three main bearings, and mechanical valve lifters.
Minor updates were applied to the 1929 Cadillac, such as the addition of synchromesh on second and top gears and Duplex mechanical brakes with internal shoes on all four wheels. Safety glass was introduced across the range. Furthermore, the adoption of underslung rear springs and a longer wheelbase allowed for sleeker body designs, marking the arrival of renowned stylist Harley Earl at General Motors.