Cadillac Deville Models & History 1998
- The DeVille, d�Elegance and Concours sedans again comprised the series.
- The DeVille and d’Elegance used the 275-horsepower version of the Northstar 4.6-liter V-8 for power while the Concours featured the 300-horse Northstar.
- Both versions of the engine were coupled to the 4T80-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission with viscous converter clutch.
- The StabiliTrak stability control system was already standard equipment on the Concours and offered on the DeVille and d�Elegance as part of a safety/security option package that also included an electronic compass/mirror, audible theft deterrent system and programmable garage door opener.
- The DeVille series offered four new exterior colors for 1998:
- Baltic Blue
- Gold Firemist
- Crimson Pearl
- Inside, two new interior color choices were available:
- Camel (available only in leather)
- Pewter (available in cloth or leather in the DeVille and leather only in d�Elegance and Concours)
- Additionally, the series’ personalization feature added two new locking modes to the three that already existed:
- all doors lock when shifting out of park and only the driver’s door unlocks when the key is turned off.
- all doors lock when shifting out of park and unlock when the key is turned off
- Also, the remote keyless entry fob added a feature: when the lock button was pressed, the horn sounded to verify that the doors were locked.
- All three sedans now came with an airbag warning label affixed to the passenger visor and each received a revised electrochromic day/night inside rearview mirror.
- The radio installed in DeVille series sedans also received a mute button and Theftlock, while radio data system (PDS) and weather band were offered as part of the optional Active Audio sound system.
- PDS allowed broad-casters to deliver a 1200-bits-per-second data stream along with audio content.
- The Concours’ standard radio also received an in-dash, single-slot CD player.
- Unique new standard features to the Concours included restyled 16-inch cast aluminum wheels as well as the next generation of Magnasteer that reacted to lateral acceleration as well as speed.
- When the cornering rate was up, as sensed by an on-board lateral accelerometer, steering effort was automatically increased to enhance the driver’s feel of the road.
- Both the d�Elegance and Concours added heated front seats to their list of standard fare.
- The OnStar in-vehicle communications system was again offered to DeVille/ d�Elegance /Concours buyers as a dealer-installed option.
|Model Number||Style Number||Body Type||Seating||Factory Price||Shipping Weight||Production Total|
|KE5||E69||4-door d’Elegance Sedan||6||41295||4052|
|KF5||F69||4-door Concours Sedan||6||42295||4012|
|Type||90-degree dual overhead cam Northstar V-8|
|Block||Aluminum block with cast iron cylinder liners|
|Displacement||279 cu. in. (4.6 liters)|
|Bore & Stroke||3.66 x 3.31 in.|
|Brake horsepower||275 @ 5600 rpm||300 @ 6000 rpm|
|Torque||300 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm||295 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm|
|Tappets||Direct acting hydraulic tappets.|
|Fuel supply||Tuned port fuel injection.|
|Overall Length||209.8 in.|
|Front Tread||60.9 in.|
|Rear Tread||60.9 in.|
|Deville Tires||Michelin P225/60SR16|
|Concours Tires||Goodyear Eagle RS-A P225/60HR16|
|Transmission||4T80-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic (includes viscous converter clutch)|
|Steering||Power-assisted rack-and-pinion, Magnasteer|
|Front Suspension||Independent MacPherson strut with coil springs. strut-type shock absorbers and stabilizer bar and MacPherson strut dampers||Independent MacPherson strut with coil springs. stabilizer bar and electronic continuously variable road sensing suspension.|
|Rear Suspension||Fully independent short/long arm. rear shock w/airilft and stabilizer bar w/automatic level control||Fully independent, coil springs. short/long arm and stabilizer bar w/automatic lever control and electronic continuously variable road sensing suspension|
|Brakes||Power assisted front and rear discw/Bosch anti-lock braking system||also with road texture detection|
|Body Construction||Integral body-frame|
|Fuel Tank||20.0 gals.|