Cadillac Moels & History 1981
Though basically unchanged for 1980, Seville got a few new touches including restyled (optional) wire wheel covers. Side accent moldings were now standard. An air dam below the front bumper was added, in an attempt to improve aerodynamic characteristics and gas mileage. Base engine was the Olds-built diesel V-8, now with roller cam followers on the valve lifters. That made Seville the only car around with a standard V-8 diesel.
Also new: an improved water detection/removal system for the fuel tank. New component labeling procedures were supposed to prevent theft. Seville’s long list of standard equipment included
- cast aluminum wheels
- four-wheel disc brakes
- cruise control
- power windows and door locks
- Soft-Ray tinted glass
- tilt/telescope steering wheel
- lighted vanity mirrors
- illuminated entry system.
Standard gear also included
- low-rolling-resistance tires
- low-fuel warning
- improved windshield washers.
- several radio and tape systems of advanced design
- a memory system for the power driver’s seat
- the modulated-displacement V8-6-4 engine that was standard in other Cadillacs.
A Buick-built 252 cu. in. V-6 with four-barrel carburetor was also available this year. Both gasoline engines brought buyers a credit of several hundred dollars.
Sevilles came in 13 high-gloss acrylic lacquer finishes, with accent striping and moldings. Optional were 13 two-tone combinations (such as Twilight Blue over Norfolk Gray) and 8 Firemist paints. Dual Comfort 45/45 seats were upholstered in Heather knit cloth; or 11 leather shades in tucked seating areas. Deep-pile Tiffany carpeting decorated the floor. Also standard: map lamps, assist straps, and an improved electronic-tuning AM/FM stereo radio.
Hoods displayed a burnished wreath-and-crest ornament over the vertical-style grille with its large header bar, and engine compartments had a new light. Cast aluminum wheels were standard. One-piece bumpers had built-in guards. A Touring Suspension became optional during the 1981 model year. Seville Elegantes had been easy to spot with their bold “French Curve” molding separating two-tone body colors. This year, base Sevilles gained the full-length accent moldings that had formerly been an Elegante exclusive. The pricey Elegante package included
- tucked seating areas and steering wheel in Sierra Grain leather
- 40/40 Dual Comfort seats
- leather-topped console
- Tampico carpeting
- “Elegante” script on glove box and body
- cross-laced wire wheel covers
- chrome side moldings.
Elegante came in four color combinations:
- Sheffield Gray Firemist over Sable Black (slate gray interior)
- Superior Blue Metallic over Twilight Blue (dark blue interior)
- Desert Sand Firemist over Briarwood Brown (light beige interior)
- Mulberry Gray Firemist over Bordeaux Red (mulberry gray interior).
|Model Number||Style Number||Body Type||Seating||Factory Price||Shipping Weight||Production Total|
|Seville V-6 / Diesel V-8|
|6K||S69||4-door Sedan||5||$20,598 / 21,088||3688 / 4028 lb||28,631|
|FACTORY PRICE AND WEIGHT NOTE|
- Figures before the slash are for V-6 engine, after slash for variable-displacement gas V8-6-4.
- By late spring 1981, prices rose on the Seville to $23,000 for the diesel
|Feature||Basic diesel V-8||Optional V-6||Optional V-8|
|Type||90-degree, overhead valve V-8. Cast iron block and head||90-degree, overhead valve V-6. Cast iron block and head||90-degree, overhead valve variable-displacement. Cast iron block and head|
|Displacement||350 cu. in. (5.7 liters)||252 cu. in. (4.1 liters)||368 cu. in. (6.0 liters)|
|Bore & stroke||4.057 x 3.385 in.||3.965 x 3.40 in.||3.80 x 4.06 in.|
|Brake horsepower||105 at 3200 R.P.M.||125 at 3800 R.P.M.||140 at 3800 R.P.M.|
|Torque||200 lbs.-ft. at 1600 R.P.M.||210 lbs.-ft. at 2000 R.P.M.||265 lbs.-ft. at 1400 R.P.M.|
|Fuel supply||Fuel injection||4-bbl carburetor||Digital fuel injection|
- Wheelbase: 114.0 in.
- Overall length: 204.8 in.
- Height: 54.3 in.
- Width: 71.5 in.
- Front Tread: 59.3 in.
- Rear Tread: 60.6 in.
- Standard Tires: P205/75R15 SBR wide WSW
- Turbo Hydra-matic transmission, column shift.
- Gear ratios 3-speed automatic: (1st) 2.74:1; (2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
- Gear ratios 4-speed automatic w/V-6: (1st) 2.74:1; (2nd) 1.57:1; (3rd) 1.00:1: (4th) 0.667:1; (Rev) 2.07:1.
- Standard final drive ratio: 2.41:1 except w/V-6, 2.93:1
- Steering: recirculating ball (power assisted).
- Suspension: same as 1980.
- Brakes: four-wheel disc.
- Fuel tank: 22.8 gal. w/diesel, 20.3 gal. w/V8-6-4, 21.1 gal. w/V-6
- 4.1-liter gas V-6 engine ($490 credit)
- V8-6-4 gas engine: ($325 credit).
- 5.7-liter diesel V-8 engine ($325-$351); N/A limo.
- California emission equipment ($46-$182).
- Engine block heater ($22).
- 100-amp alternator ($41).
- Heavy-duty cooling ($59).
- Touring suspension: ($95).
- Trailering pkg. ($59-$100).
- Seville Elegante ($2734)
- Astroroof ($1058)
- Rear defogger, grid-type ($134-$175).
- Automatic door locks ($129).
- Garage door opener ($125).
- Illuminated entry system ($67).
- Digital instrument cluster: ($200).
- Memory driver’s seat ($169).
- Power river’s seat recliner ($130).
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel ($79).
- Tilt/telescope steering wheel ($147).
- Theft deterrent system ($157).
- Guidematic headlamp control ($78).
- Trumpet horn ($28).
- Thermometer on left mirror ($35).
- Twin lighted vanity mirrors ($116).
- Electronic-tuning seek/scan AM/FM stereo radio with 8-track tape player ($195); with 8-track and CB ($480);
- Electronic-tuning seek/scan AM/FM stereo radio w/cassette ($281); w/cassette and CB ($547).
- Two-tone paint: Firemist ($520)
- Firemist paint ($208).
- Door edge guards ($16-$24).
- License frames, each ($11).
- Front console: ($151).
- Leather seating area ($439-$595).
- Carpeted rubber floor mats: front ($35-$38); rear ($20).
- Trunk mat ($16).
- Cast aluminum wheels: (NC).
- Locking wire wheel covers ($266-$328).
- Puncture-sealing tires ($106).