Cadillac Models & History 1958
Cadillacsfor 1958 were basically carryover models with a facelift on all but the Brougham. There was a new grille featuring multiple round “cleats” at the intersection of horizontal and vertical members. The grille insert was wider and the bumper guards were positioned lower to the parking lamps. New quad (dual) headlamps were seen throughout all lines and small chrome fins decorated front fenders. Tailfins were a bit less pronounced and trim attachments were revised. The word Cadillac appeared, in block letters, on the fins of Series 62 base models. On the sides of the cars there were five longer horizontal windsplits ahead of the unskirted rear wheel housings; front fender horizontal moldings with crests placed above at the trailing edge and no rocker sill trim.
1958 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
The convertible, Coupe DeVille, and Sedan DeVille used solid metal trim on the lower half of the conical projectile flares, while other models had a thin ridge molding in the same location. Standard equipment was the same as the previous year. All-new was an extended deck Series sedan, which was 216mm longer than other base models.
I. D. NUMBERS
- Serial numbers now used a three symbol prefix
- The first pair of numerical symbols “58” designated model year
- A one-letter alphabetical code (included as part of model number in charts below) indicated model and series
- Each prefix was followed by the consecutive unit number which started at 000001 and up
- The serial number was located at the front of the lefthand frame side bar
- Motor serial numbers again matched and were found on the center lefthand side of the block above the oil pan
|Model No.||Body Style||Door||Model||Seat||Price||Weight||Production
|58K-62||6239(X||4||Export Sedan||6||$4891||2125 kg||204|
- The export sedan was shipped in CKD form to foreign countries.
- The symbol “X”, in brackets after Body Style Number, indicates power windows and seat optional; without brackets indicates these features standard.
- Style Number 6239E(X) is the new Extended Deck Sedan.
|Type||V-8 Overhead valves|
|Block||Cast iron block|
|Bore and stroke||101.6mm x 92.1mm|
|Brake horsepower||310 hp @ 4800 rpm|
|Power||231 kW @ 4800 rpm|
|Power||231 kW @ 4800 rpm|
|Bearings||Five main bearings|
|Valve Lifters||Hydraulic valve lifters|
|Carburetor||Carter AFB four-barrel Model 2862S|
|Model||Wheelbase||Overall Length||Front Tread||Rear Tread||Tires|
|Series 62 58K||3289mm||5507mm||1549mm||1549mm||8.00 x 15 blackwall|
|Series 62 58G, 58J, & 58F||3289mm||5634mm||1549mm||1549mm||8.00 x 15 blackwall|
|Series 62 58N & 58L||3289mm||5723mm||1549mm||1549mm||8.00 x 15 blackwall|