Produced from October 1958 to June 1963, the DB4 underwent five evolutionary series, although the factory did not officially designate them as such. The nomenclature was later suggested by the Aston Martin Owners Club to facilitate identification as the model progressed. The initial series saw various improvements, including the addition of heavy-duty bumpers after the first 50 cars. The second series, introduced in January 1960, featured a front-hinged hood, larger brake calipers, and an enlarged sump.
The third series boasted separate rear lights, two bonnet stays, and numerous interior enhancements. The fourth series, produced between September 1961 and October 1962, could be identified by its shallower hood intake, recessed rear lights, and a new grille with seven vertical bars. The final, fifth series, extended for more rear legroom and a larger boot, marked a departure from the sportiness of the earlier models.