Manufactured from October 1958 to June 1963, the DB4 underwent several developments across five distinct series. However, it’s important to note that the factory did not originally designate them as such; this nomenclature was suggested later by the Aston Martin Owners Club to facilitate model identification as it evolved.
The initial cars had already seen several improvements, such as the addition of heavy-duty bumpers after the production of the first 50 units, before the second series was introduced in January 1960. The Series II brought significant changes, including a front-hinged bonnet, larger brake callipers, and an enlarged sump. Moving on to the third series, it featured separate rear lights, two bonnet stays, and numerous interior fittings enhancements.
The fourth series stood out with a new grille sporting seven vertical bars, a shallower bonnet intake, and recessed rear lights. Finally, the fifth series, manufactured between September 1962 and June 1963, was built on a 3½” longer wheelbase, providing more legroom and a larger boot. It also boasted 15″ wheels, an electric radiator fan, and the DB4GT-type instrument panel. This DB4 lineup, including Vantage and convertible models, saw the production of approximately 1,100 units from 1958 to 1963.
Initially, the DB4 was exclusively available as a closed sports saloon until September 1961, when the convertible version made its debut at that year’s Motor Show. Priced at £4,449, it was £250 more expensive than the saloon. While passenger space remained largely unchanged, the convertible offered more headroom than its saloon counterpart.