Similar to the majority of British automobile manufacturers after World War II, Jaguar Cars, which had been renamed from William Lyons’ SS concern in 1945, initiated post-war production with a lineup of pre-war designs. These vehicles were essentially interim models, intended to bridge the gap until an entirely new generation of Jaguars could be introduced. This interim lineup included the compact 1½-Litre and the 2½/3½-Litre model, retrospectively referred to as the ‘Mark IV’.
Constructed on a spacious 120-inch (3,048mm) wheelbase, the Mark IV retained a separate chassis featuring a front beam axle and rear live axle suspension supported by semi-elliptic springs, along with Girling mechanical brakes. The stylish coachwork, entirely crafted from steel, was offered in both saloon and drophead coupé variations, boasting the luxurious and well-appointed interiors that would later become synonymous with the Jaguar brand.
Since 1934, SS Cars had employed Standard’s robust seven-bearing six-cylinder engine, which, in Jaguar’s specification, was equipped with a Weslake overhead-valve cylinder head and paired with a four-speed manual gearbox. In its 3½-litre configuration, the robust Mark IV could achieve speeds exceeding 145 km/h.