The introduction of the 250 Europa marked a significant shift in Ferrari’s choice of coachbuilder. While Vignale had previously been the favored carrozzeria among Maranello’s customers, Pinin Farina (later Pininfarina) would now take the lead, crafting the bodies for 48 out of the 53 Europa/Europa GTs produced. Pinin Farina’s innovative designs culminated in a new Ferrari 250GT road car, which made its debut at the Geneva Salon in March 1956. However, Pinin Farina couldn’t manage the growing demand, leading to Carrozzeria Boano taking over production after completing a few prototypes.
Carrozzeria Boano was established in 1954 by Mario Felice Boano, a former designer for Farina and Ghia, along with his son Gian Paolo and partner Luciano Pollo. When Boano and his son left for FIAT, Luciano Pollo was joined by Boano’s son-in-law, Ezio Ellena, prompting a name change to Carrozzeria Ellena. From 1956 to 1958, they produced around 130 left-hand drive 250 GTs, with the majority being Boano-bodied models. The later Boano/Ellena versions were characterized by a taller roofline and the absence of quarter-lights in the side windows.
These cars represented a departure from Ferrari’s usual approach. They prioritized driver and passenger comfort for the first time, featuring a more luxurious interior, wider seats, and reduced noise levels. By then, synchromesh had been introduced in the gearbox, providing a softer ride and lighter steering, catering to the increasingly important North American market. However, the mechanical similarity of the Boano and Boano/Ellena-bodied models to more competition-oriented 250 GT variants led some to be converted, making original survivors relatively rare today.