The W191 chassis model marked a significant milestone for the Stuttgart-based manufacturer. Introduced in 1936, the four-cylinder 170V, with its 1.7-liter engine, became the cornerstone of Mercedes-Benz production in the immediate post-war era. Its cutting-edge running gear featured an oval-tube backbone-type chassis, swing-axle independent rear suspension, transverse-leaf independent front suspension, and hydraulic brakes.
Following the war, the model made a comeback, with production initially focusing primarily on commercial versions. In May 1949, an enhanced iteration, the 170S, made its debut. It featured a 1,767cc engine with an aluminum-alloy cylinder head, delivering 52bhp, a remarkable 37% improvement over the 170V. The 170S lineup included two soft-top options: the Cabriolet A coupé and the Cabriolet B saloon. This enhanced 170S model remained in production until 1955, undergoing continuous improvements during its production run.