In September 1929, the superior Phantom II made its debut, marking the replacement of the New Phantom. This remarkable vehicle represented the final creation overseen by Sir Frederick Henry Royce, OBE, who passed away in 1933. With its lowered chassis, available in 144- and 150-inch wheelbases, it provided an excellent canvas for the skilled coachbuilders who were inspired to craft the exceptionally elegant cars that would come to define the “classic” era of the 1930s.
Despite its substantial weight of three tons, the Phantom II outpaced all previous Rolls-Royce models, thanks to ongoing enhancements throughout its production run. Notable improvements included the introduction of the innovative Autovac fuel delivery system, a time-efficient “One Shot” chassis lubrication design, and refined gearing. These upgrades were aimed at eliminating imperfections, enhancing performance, and elevating both comfort and drivability.
Enthusiasts of fine automobiles will be particularly intrigued by this model’s forward-thinking features in its controls, carburetion, and ignition systems.