In 1951, Mercedes-Benz unveiled the 300 saloon, a groundbreaking design that marked a pivotal moment in the post-war era for the company. This remarkable vehicle not only reestablished Mercedes-Benz as a premier name among luxury car manufacturers but also rekindled the brand’s heritage of crafting high-performance, top-quality automobiles.
The 300 boasted a range of cutting-edge features, including all-around independent suspension, four-wheel drum brakes, hypoid bevel final drive, dynamically balanced wheels, and remote electrical control over the rear suspension’s ride height. Initially, it sported a 3.0-liter, overhead-camshaft, six-cylinder engine generating 115 horsepower, which was also utilized in the 300 SL sports car. This engine gained fuel injection when it was incorporated into the restyled and more spacious 1957 300d, featuring a longer wheelbase. The 300d also came with enhancements like larger brakes (with servo assistance from 1954), optional power steering, and the inclusion of a three-speed automatic transmission as standard.
Each 300 was meticulously crafted by Mercedes-Benz’s most skilled artisans, resulting in a vehicle that was lavishly appointed and trimmed with the finest materials available. Beyond its luxury, the 300 was renowned for its swiftness and elegance. It stood out as one of the few contemporary cars capable of comfortably transporting six passengers at high speeds over extended distances. Notably, the 300 gained an unofficial moniker as the “Adenauer,” named after its most famous customer, German Chancellor Dr. Konrad Adenauer. This illustrious car quickly became the preferred choice among West German government officials, as well as a favorite among businessmen, financiers, and politicians.