The Diamond T Company began manufacturing a 3/4-ton Model 80 pickup in 1936 to compete with Mack, Federal, and Reo. The company was founded in 1905 by C.A. Tilt, a shoemaker, and transitioned from producing automobiles to trucks in the mid-1910s. Following a merger with White in 1958, Diamond T continued to manufacture heavy trucks. Subsequently, White acquired Reo and merged the two companies, forming Diamond Reo in 1967.
The Model 201 was produced from 1938 to 1949, with an estimated 7,000 units manufactured. It is equipped with a 91-horsepower, 236.7-cubic-inch Hercules inline-six engine, which is paired with a Warner four-speed transmission. The vehicle is also fitted with Lockheed four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes to provide stopping power. The Model 201 was priced $500 more per vehicle than its “Big Three” competitors, and featured a passenger car-style grille and more luxurious interior appointments to appeal to a more affluent buyer.
Photo Source: RM Sotheby’s