Fleetwood Series Sixty Special Cadillac History 1955
TheSixty Special Fleetwood now had 12 vertical louvers at the rear lower side of the back fenders and continued with a Fleetwood script on the rear deck. The special “glamour” upholstery used in the 60S was similar to the metallic thread fabric with genuine leather trim combination used in the Series 62 Coupe DeVille. Standard equipment included:
- directional signals
- backup lights
- oil bath air cleaner
- automatic choke
- full-pressure lubrication
- 12-volt electrical system
- knee-action front suspension
- hypoid semi-floating rear axle
- wheel discs
- pushbutton automatic windshield washers.
I. D. NUMBERS
- Serial numbers and engine numbers were the same again
- They were found in the same locations as previous year.
- The first two symbols were “55” to designate 1955 model production.
- The next two symbols indicated the series as follows:
- “62” = Series 62 and Eldorado
- “60” = Series Special Fleetwood
- “75” = Series 75 Fleetwood
- The remaining digits represented the consecutive unit number and began at 00000 for each series.
- All series had the same ending number, which would be misinterpreted if listed.
SERIES SIXTY SPECIAL FLEETWOOD STYLE
SERIES SIXTY SPECIAL FLEETWOOD ENGINE
||V-8: Overhead valves
||Cast iron block
|Bore and stroke
||96.8mm x 92.1mm
||250 hp @ 4600 rpm
||186 kW @ 4600 rpm
||Five main bearings
||Hydraulic valve lifters
||Carter WCFB four-barrel, Models 2355S, 2354S, 2185S, 2186S, 2266S, 2267S, and 2255 – also – Rochester 4GC four-barrel, (Less air conditioning) Model 7007970; (With air conditioning) Model 7007971.
||Series 60 Fleetwood
||8.00 x 15
||Standard dual exhausts
|Standard Rear axle ratio
|Optional Rear axle ratio
POWER TRAIN OPTIONS
The 270 horsepower Eldorado engine was available as an optional “Power Package” in other models for $161 extra.
|Radio and antenna
|Heating and ventilation system
|Four-way adjustable power seat
|Vertically adjustable power seat
|White sidewall tires
|E-Z-Eye safety glass
|Autronic Eye automatic headlamp dimmer
|Other standard GM options and accessories available
- Total 1955 output of all models reached 140,777 units, a new record high for Cadillac Division.
- Charles E. Arnold was chief engineer