Cadillac Allante Models & History 1993
- The redesigned 1993 Allante convertible (no longer offered in convertible hardtop configuration) was an early-1992 launch.
- This early debut also introduced the world to the Northstar V-8 engine, which now powered the Allante, replacing the 4.5-liter V-8 formerly used.
- As with all other Northstar applications, the 4.6-liter V-8 was paired with the 4T80-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission.
- The Northstar debut featured highly efficient compound-geometry valve/port designs and �quiet coil” Direct Ignition System designed to operate at high rpm levels without loss of spark synchronization.
- The engine�s dual stream injector Fluid Induction System was another innovation. This system was isolated from underhood heat sources and cooled the fuel during operation, which enhanced performance.
- The 4T80-E transmission featured a controlled-flow, dual lubricating system that provided proper lubrication under all operating conditions. Free-wheeling clutches ensured consistent shifting quality.
- In its final year of production, the Allante was vastly upgraded with the addition of road sensing suspension, speed sensitive steering and the new-generation Bosch ASRIIU traction control system.
- The convertible also benefitted from receiving the short/long arm (SLA) rear suspension that improved steering responsiveness.
- Other new standard features of the Allante included revised 16-inch cast aluminum wheels fitted with Goodyear Eagle GA P225/60ZR16 tires and a 23-gallon polyethylene fuel tank.
- Chrome wheels were a new option.
- Outside, a new maroon color soft top was offered and the removal aluminum hardtop remained available as an option.
- A new three-inch front fascia spoiler enhanced high-speed aerodynamics while new, one-piece side window glass improved weather sealing and acoustics.
- Three new clearcoat paint colors were offered: Pearl Red, Pearl Flax, and Palo Green — upping the total to eight colors available.
- Allante also featured a headlamp washer system, new outside electric heated rearview mirrors with a faldaway design, and blue-tinted glass.
- New Nuance leather-trimmed bucket seats were orthopedically designed to provide optimal support and comfort. The seats had power eight way metaphoric adjustments and a new four-way power lumbar control.
- The console included a transmission shift selector that was slightly offset 20 degrees toward the driver for ease of shifting.
- Allante also featured the new Pass-Key II anti-theft system as a standard item.
|I. D. NUMBERS|
The 1993 Cadillac had a 17-symbol vehicle identification number (VIN) stamped on a metal tag attached to the upper left surface of the cowl visible through the windshield. The digits of the code were as follows:
- First digit = “1” = manufacturing country (United States)
- Second = “G� = General Motors
- Third = “6” = Cadillac
- Fourth & fifth = car line/series
- V/S = Allante convertible
- Sixth = the body style: 5 = four-door sedan
- Seventh = the restraint code:
- 1 = active (manual) belts
- 2 = active (manual) belts w/dual airbags
- 3 = active (manual) belts w/driver�s side airbag
- 4 = passive (automatic) belts
- 5 = passive (automatic) belts w/driver’s side airbag
- Eighth = the engine:
- Y = LD8 4.6L V-8
- 9 = L37 4.6L V-8
- Ninth = check digit
- 10th = model year, “P” for 1993
- 11th = the assembly plant
- The remaining six digits identify the production sequence number
|Series||Body/Style||Body Type||Factory Price||Shipping Weight||Prod. Total|
|V53||S67||2-dr. Conv.||$59,975||3752 lb||4,670|
|Type||90-degree, dual overhead cam Northstar V-8|
|Block||Aluminum block with cast iron cylinder liners|
|Heads||aluminum cylinder heads|
|Displacement||279 cu . in. (4.6 liters)|
|Bore & Stroke||3.66 x 3.31 in.|
|Brake horsepower||295 @ 5600 rpm|
|Torque||290 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm|
|Lifters||Direct acting hydraulic tappets|
|Fuel Injection||Tuned port fuel injection|
|Overall Length||175.7 in.|
|Front Tread||60.4 in.|
|Rear Tread||60.4 in.|
|Standard Tires||Goodyear Eagle GA P225/60ZR16|
|Transmission||4T80-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic (includes torque converter clutch)|
|Steering||Power-assisted rack-and-pinion. speed sensitive|
|Front Suspension||independent MacPherson strut with coil springs. strut-type shock absorbers and stabilizer bar|
|Rear Suspension||Independent short/long arm w/coil springs. electronic variable damping shock absorbers w/road sensing suspension and stabilizer bar|
|Brakes||Power assisted front and rear disc w/Bosch II anti-lock braking system.|
|Body Construction||integral body frame|
|Fuel Tank||22.0 gals.|
- Digital Instrument Cluster (conv. only) $495
- Pearlcoat Flax/White Paint $700.
- Cadillac’s model year production totaled 225,830 compared with 233,027 the year previous.
- Based on sales of 204,159 automobiles in 1993 (vs. 214,176 the year before), Cadillac�s share of the U.S. market was 2.40 percent compared with 2.61 the year previous.