The Alvis marque has always held a certain fascination. Over a 47 year life span the British manufacturer produced an eclectic mix of models that today are very much sought after by collectors The Alvis Car and Engineering Company built a rather curious mix of cars of high quality with a sporting nature and from their very beginning in 1920 developed some bold engineering innovation. With most emphasis today on the company’s post-war years it’s easy to forget that this Coventry-based manufacturer had developed a front-wheel-drive Grand Prix car from 1926 and a road-going front-wheel-drive model with all-round independent suspension as early as 1928. Our recent interest centers on a 1965 Alvis TE21 Drophead Coupe from the Gosford Classic Car Museum – by the time this striking model arrived on the market late in 1963 Alvis had long abandoned pure sports car manufacture. The two-door Alvis TE21 Saloon and Drophead Coupe were a development of the TD21 released in 1958 but with a number of styling and mechanical updates. Like their predecessor the bodies were designed by Graber of Switzerland, the Saloons built by Mulliner Park Ward while the Drophead Coupes were entrusted to Tickford. Production of the Alvis TE21 was limited to just 352 units between 1964 and 1966 with just 12 built in Drophead form so the Museum’s excellent 1965 example is rare indeed.