The 413 cubic-inch Wedge V-8, so named because of the engine’s wedge-shaped combustion chambers, was first introduced in Chryslers for 1959, Dodge in 1961, and Plymouth in 1962. These motors were quickly put to good use by the Ramchargers, a racing team composed of Chrysler Corporation engineers, and their exploits crowned Mopar performance as the hottest ticket on dragstrips from coast-to-coast.
A new 426 cubic-inch version was introduced for 1963, as allowed by a new 7-liter rule by the FIA/ACCUS. It featured the same 3.75-inch stroke of the 413, but included a larger bore to increase displacement. Fitted with dual four-barrel carburetors, a cross-ram manifold, and optional 13.5:1 pistons; the Max Wedge produced a whopping 425 horsepower.
As part of the Mopar assault on America’s dragstrips, Dodge purpose-built 34 Super Stock factory lightweight 330s in 1963 featuring aluminum front fenders, bumpers, bumper supports, and scoop-equipped hood. A trunk-mounted battery helped weight distribution and heavy-duty components throughout enhanced performance.