1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL
1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL

1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL

Built as a smaller, cheaper and open-top alternative to the 300SL, the similarly-styled 190 was aimed at the American market for importer Max Hoffman. Both the 300SL and 190SL carried the ‘Sport Leicht’ name, but where the 300SL had a lightweight spaceframe design, the 190SL had a regular steel unitary-body construction based on a shortened W121 platform with aluminum hood, doors and trunk lid called the R121 Roadster. The 190 was powered by a four-cylinder version of the 300SL’s six, but it used twin Twin Solex PHH Carburetors to produce 105 honest horsepower. During its particularly long production life from January 1955 to 1963, 48,900 examples were made before the model was replaced outright by the 230SL of 1963.

1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL
1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL
1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL
1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL