Daimler-Benz developed this hardtop version of the 300 SLR racing car for the 1956 season. It was never used in racing, however, because the company ceased its motorsport activities at the end of the 1955 season. Instead, the 300 SLR coupe served the head of the Test Department, Rudolf Uhlenhaut, as a company car. The nickname “Uhlenhaut coupe” is a reminder of this. Only two prototypes of this masterpiece of power and elegance were ever built and yet this wonderful car had still become a legend in its own right.