1954 Talbot Lago T26 GSL

Anthony Lago’s mechanical ingenuity breathed new life into Talbot, revitalizing its presence on circuits and redefining its image. The Talbot T26 GS claimed victory at the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1950, signaling a resurgence for the marque. Concurrently, Lago adapted racing models for civilian use.

The GSL, designed by Carlo Delaisse, known for collaborations with renowned French coachbuilders, featured refined in-house coachwork. Despite variations in nomenclature like “Grand Sport Lago,” the GSL designation likely referred to its extended wheelbase, offering a balance of sportiness and comfort.

Powered by a 4.5-liter six-cylinder engine derived from Lago’s Grand Prix racing engines, the GSL boasted innovations from Talbot’s Le Mans-winning models. Equipped with three new Solex 40 PAI carburetors and a formidable Wilson gearbox, the GSL delivered 210 hp at 4,500 rpm, reflecting Talbot’s commitment to performance and engineering excellence established on the racetrack.

Photos by Teddy Pieper courtesy of RM Sotheby’s