Morgan’s first four-seater, four-wheeled sports car—the 4/4—appeared in 1937. By 1950, the old motor was being phased out and a more powerful replacement was sourced. It was felt that a change of name was justified for the new model; ‘Plus 4’ was chosen and an old advertising slogan resurrected – ‘fastest at the price’.
The Plus 4 represented a major step forward in the evolution of the Morgan sports car. Although the traditional chassis layout was retained—what else would one expect from Morgan?—the frame did undergo extensive alteration, gaining in both wheelbase and track dimensions while being considerably strengthened. The centrally mounted Moss gearbox was carried over from the 4/4.