Talbot-Lago, the French automaker, had scheduled the debut of the T26 Record at the Paris Salon in October of 1946. Paris was chosen as the launch site to attract the attention of the bourgeois Parisian clientele, who were the intended target market for this lavishly appointed car. The new model was available in a variety of body styles, including a handsome coupe, stylish cabriolet, or a more practical four-door saloon. For those seeking something even more exceptional, the car was also offered as a rolling chassis to be bodied outside of the factory.
The T26’s newly designed chassis and drivetrain were concealed beneath the chosen coachwork. The trademark pre-selector Wilson gearbox was easier to use than the long-throw and slow-shifting gearboxes typical of other cars from the era, while fully independent coil-sprung front suspension ensured superior handling. A 4.5-liter six-cylinder twin-cam engine developed by Anthony Lago and Carlo Marchetti produced 170 horsepower, making the T26 Record one of the most powerful cars in the world at the time. In the classic sense, it was a “grande routière.”
Source: RM Sotheby’s