The Allard J2 model was announced in 1949 to much acclaim, and achieved early racing success in both the UK and America. Just 99 cars were built over a period of eighteen months, the competition-orientated J2 two-seater employed Allard’s trademark independently suspended ‘split’ front axle and a De Dion rear end with inboard brakes. Like the vast majority of production Allards, the J2 used Ford and Mercury components, these being readily obtainable from Ford in the UK. Importing engines such as Cadillac’s powerful new overhead-valve V8 into Britain was prohibitively expensive. As such, it was common for cars to be exported to the USA to be fitted with the customer’s choice of engine on arrival. With a Cadillac engine installed the Allard J2 was more than a match for any contemporary sports car in a straight line, Jaguar’s XK120 included.