Bridging the gap between the pre- and post-war eras, Alfa Romeo’s 6C 2500 debuted in 1939 as the third series of Vittorio Jano’s legendary six-cylinder Alfa Romeos. Capable for 160 km/h, these cars benefitted from four-wheel independent suspension and could be had in a handful of levels of tuning. This included the 87-horsepower Turismo, moving up to the 110-horsepower Super Sport, or SS, and culminating in the track-ready Tipo 256 with 120 horsepower.
Following the war, the first 6C 2500 offered was the Freccia d’Oro, which boasted essentially the same running gear as the pre-war cars. In 1949, Alfa Romeo introduced the Villa d’Este Coupés. Boasting Superleggera coachwork by Touring of Milan, Alfa Romeo dubbed the car Villa d’Este following this design’s success at the Concorso d’Eleganza at Villa d’Este on Lake Como, where it won the Gran Premio Referendum, also known as the People’s Choice Award.
Story by RM Sotheby’s