In 1946 Bentley introduced their Mark IV as an updated version of Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith and it was Bentley’s first post-war offering. It was a landmark car for Bentley as it was offered with an all-steel Sports Saloon bodywork which was standard on the model.
With a Standard Steel Sports Saloon body, the Mark IV was the first Bentley finished from the factory. These bodies were made by Pressed Steel Ltd of Coventry to be fitted and trimmed at the Bentley factory.
The Mark VI used the Silver Wraith’s chassis and engine, but it was fitted with a new high-performance cylinder head. Later Mark IVs used 4566 cc and 4887 cc versions of this engine.