Registered 15th May 1930, Chassis S40 was one of the ‘First Series’ of Aston Martins produced under the company ownership of A.C. Bertelli. As both owner and Technical Director of Aston Martin between 1926 and 1937, Bertelli remains one of the few figures in automotive history to have owned, designed and successfully driven and competed in the cars produced at their new Feltham Works in Middlesex.
First shown to the public at the London Motor Show in 1929, the International continued Aston Martins already established tradition for beautifully crafted, lightweight performance cars. With chassis S38 having been road-tested by The Autocar during 1930, a top-speed of 81mph was recorded with 90mph attainable depending on the axle ratio.
The International would go on to be the most successful of the ‘First Series’ of Bertelli cars and secure the sporting reputation of Aston Martin throughout the 1930’s with Bertelli and Driscoll winning the Biennial Cup at Le Mans in 1932.