The last cornerstone of the post-merger revamp of the Mercedes-Benz passenger car range was a 4.6-litre eight-cylinder vehicle that had been developed under Ferdinand Porsche and which was called the Nürburg 460. This model owed its name not to any particular sportiness, but to the fact that it had undergone endurance testing on the Nürburgring, where a 460 had covered 20,000 kilometres in 13 days of driving.
Unveiled in October 1928 at the Paris Motor Show, the Nürburg 460 served as a successor to the six-cylinder supercharged 15/70/100 hp, which had been launched four years previously and was to remain in production until February 1929. It was the first series-produced automobile from the world’s oldest automobile manufacturer to be powered by an eight-cylinder engine. For this reason, it was also referred to in some publications as the “Nürburg 8”, and the cover page of early catalogues was adorned with a gold-embossed 8 inside a lozenge shape.